September 12, 2003

[b.net] Becoming a Game Animator

Becoming a Game AnimatorBecoming a Game Animator
09/08/03

John Butkus displays his one-thousand-three-hundred-and-thirty-seven-ness once again in the form of yet another b.net top story. Ever wanted to animate the Masterchief's stylin' teabagging moves? Do you fancy the prospect of bringing the next beach voleyball game to life? If you answered yes to either of those questions, we need to have a little chat.

But in all seriousness folks *chortle* check out John's article, it's a great read and points out a lesson that seems to be important for any job in the gaming industry: practice and portfolios pay!

Maybe I'll get the next one on time... who knows?

Posted by gholsbane at September 12, 2003 3:10 PM
Comments

yer, hi.

I am a 13 year old gamer, from England (sorry about that)i have always been interested in how games and how the games and all that was in them came to being, especially how the movement of plants, charectors aswell as corpses have been made to be "just so". I think i may like to follow this interest further and was wondering if you would be able to give me a hand on what qualifications, or whatever I might need to do or have.
Thanks very much.
P.S I understand you have a ton of other e-mail like this from people just as interested as I, so if you cannot find the time I would understand.
Mail me if you can.

Ned

Posted by: Ned R on March 11, 2004 3:47 PM

Hey to whoever reads this.
Well i love to play game and i probably play them to much, but that has cuased me to become interesten in helping make a game, but i dont know where to get started. I dont really know what i want to do to help make a game. I dont know where to get started in figuring out what i want to do to make a game, and i was wondering if you could help me find out what i want to do by giving me a couple of suggestion if you could and if not i understand that you ahve more important things to do than help a 15 year old, but w/e.

Anyway if you could help me out here i would be very thankful.

Kenny B

Posted by: Kenny B on October 22, 2004 1:39 AM

hi i am currently going 2 a high school for animaton(not just a class of animation a full time thing everyother day we do computer work in like C.A.D and auto inventor) and would like 2 know if u take people right from high school. In this school I am learning more then I would about animation then I would just going to collage. But if u dont take people right from high school I had a collage already planned out for animation. I planned on goin 2 Full Sail collage in flordia. This collage specializes in animation so i am willing 2 wait untill after collage if u accept me or want me.

Posted by: matt b on March 31, 2005 1:19 PM

Hey! I'm a pretty big gamer. I love the art in games, like character design and weapon design. Anyway, I'm here to ask if there's something for me in gaming for that particular thing. I love drawing, and I draw frequently. One of my goals is to draw something for some game industry. So, is there anything like that in gaming, something that focusses on the characters, weapons, clothing, anything that has drawing in it? I'm not too big on computers. What do I need for it? What classes should I take? What are the qualifications?

Posted by: Arvon on April 20, 2005 1:57 AM

roflcopter dudes, is that my cousin you're all trying to talk to? John Butkus is my cousin, yep isn't it great. Of course I live in Ontario, where he grew up before he moved to the States to start working for Bungie. Its awesome getting to tell my friends that a relative of mine is a major animator for Bungie! Lithuanian pride!

Posted by: pigswillpay on August 17, 2006 5:29 AM