March 6, 2003

Halo: Better than Freedom

Inside or Outside?One of Bungie's long time fans, Meg aka Pallor, sent me the following story about an assigned probationer. FYI, Meg's official title is "State of Tennessee Probation and Parole Officer II" - don't cross her within state lines, the law is on her side. Meg says:

I have a probationer and his girlfriend (who is also on probation with me) on my caseload that sees me every month. In February, they were in and saw my Halo desktop on my computer. The male asked if I liked Halo, I replied yes. One of the other Officers going by remarked that my significant other made the game. My male probationer freaked out. He became very nervous. He is about 6'0" and 300 pounds of a man, shaking in my office quivering at the site of the Master Chief on my computer. He could barely get his things together to leave.
Tuesday (March 3), the female probationer asked me if I knew how much the male respected me and was in awe (not just because I can throw him back in jail) but because of my connection with Halo. She says the game ruined her life when it was released. It was all he wanted to play. As soon as he came back from work he was in front of the TV. They had parties where his friends played games for hours. Her frustration with the game was quite obvious.

She then proceeded to tell me when they were incarcerated waiting to make bail, they had their family hock some goods to raise cash. It seems that the xbox was sold and all of the games except Halo. The male was insistent that Halo would not be sold, he didn't care they could get the $50 someplace else. He was screaming at people NOT HALO NOT HALO. So, to this day, he has Halo and no xbox. It seems owning Halo is better than your freedom.

The male came into my office for his appointment and echoed basically the same thing: They can take his freedom but not his Halo.

FYI, their convictions are possession with intent for resale of prohibited controlled substances.

Posted by bs at March 6, 2003 12:07 PM
Comments

I think it would be quite cool to offer this guy his copy of Halo autographed by Jamie if he somehow goes above the call of duty in re: his probation. Maybe gets a decent job, etc.

And a pic of him holding Halo would be tres sweet. :)

Posted by: Miguel on March 6, 2003 7:00 AM

(In response to Miguels comment)

While you think its a good idea, professionally it is not the smartest thing.

Probationers are not fanmonkeys. I cannot use a position of judicial authority to appear as though I am biased or engage in any potential conflicts of interest. I can also not show any favortism for completion of tasks. For one, their probation is time served on a crime as debt to society. It is not something that is to be rewarded - it is to be expected.

I was more amused that a video game could have an impact that great on someone. I found the comment about not selling HALO to be very unique.

-- Meg

Posted by: Pallor on March 6, 2003 1:13 PM

Yah, my comment was a bit flip. Tongue should've been more in the cheek area.

Posted by: Miguel on March 6, 2003 1:17 PM

"possession with intent for resale of prohibited controlled substances" = "Halo Story Bible"

Posted by: poena.dare #CP# on March 6, 2003 1:49 PM

(To PD): No I think you cant get a charge for attempting to steal something that doesnt exist. Heh.

-- Meg

Posted by: Pallor on March 6, 2003 2:12 PM

I dont know about the proby but wouldnt it be sweet if there was a halo story bible. I would read that every night!! And if masterchief could just always freaked out about masterchief!!!

And it is kewl about not selling halo. that shows people Halo is more than just a game.

Posted by: Justin on March 6, 2003 6:50 PM

You know he has been playing halo too much, or has a "controlled substance", when he is pulled over, and says, "What seems to be the problem, ocifer?" oh, and I'd like to see what it says in the Halo Bible under "john 1/17" or "john 11/7"....

Posted by: Beller on March 6, 2003 11:11 PM

1:17
And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me,saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last.

11:7
And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Posted by: Josh on March 7, 2003 1:29 AM

Well those bible versed are pretty good but te strange thing about those versed is u could stick masterchiefs name in their and it would look kewl to all who new masterchief. Also those verses could be Masterchiefs a Theme or his Motto. And verse 11:7 could be masterchief assendin out of the pit and killing all the coventant. Although sticking his name in their is kinda wrong since i am a christian man.

Posted by: Justin on March 8, 2003 9:28 PM

you guys are all retarded! Get a life!!!

Posted by: ur mom on December 15, 2003 3:22 PM