February 4, 2003

Is Hacking Halo Wrong?

Hacking HaloRecently, all-out war has erupted on the HBO forum over hacking Halo on the Xbox.

For the uninitiated, Halo hacking involves voiding the warranty of your Xbox by adding a mod chip and then patching a ripped image of the Halo disk. Playing the hacked Halo affords a number of god-like powers: playing as other characters, invulnerability, unlimited ammo, super jumps, and other goodies.

If you are still unclear about what all the fuss is about I suggest you watch HackinHaloFun by Dozi.

Reactions to Halo hacking have been extreme, to say the least. While some view game hacking to be the last refuge of cheats and scoundrels, others believe it to be a legitimate use of the software and hardware they own. Sandwiched somewhere in between the two are the tricksters who worry that their painstakingly performed tricks will be debased by the hackers.

Of course, through this fog of raging hormones, Bungie must toe the Microsoft line, pointing out as reservedly as possible that adding a mod chip will void your Xbox warranty and likely keep you off Xbox Live.

Barring Bungie's attitude, there really isn't anything new here at all. This scenario has been played out before this reporter's eyes at least five times with different Bungie games. (Furthermore, there was once a time when Bungie laughed with delight at users' attempts to reverse engineer their games. I'm afraid those days are gone.) Allow me to rummage in the Nostalgic Bungie Closet...

One feature of Pathways Into Darkness was the ability to talk to dead people to get valuable clues and hints. Bungie encrypted the things dead people would say. Many an hour was spent trying to crack the problem. So many hours, in fact, that over seven years passed before any progress was made. What was found? Only some neat stuff the hard-core fans cared about.

Marathon was hacked left and right. People loved the game and wanted to create their own maps. It took Steve Israelson only four months to reverse engineer the Marathon map format and release the first version of Pfhorte. If the Bungie community had waited until Marathon Infinity was released to get their hands on a map editor, well, there just wouldn't have been a Bungie community by then.

When Marathon Infinity was released the community finally had Bungie approved tools to hack Marathon to its hearts' content. One oft overlooked tool was Anvil, the physics editor. You could make people fly, you could jack up the lethality of missiles by one thousand percent, and many other idiotic things. (How many Marathon fans remember being mutilated by a physics mod gone awry that not only killed you, but caused your dead body to vibrate against the wall for two minutes?)

Myth's highly complex map and model formats stymied hackers for a while. But within a year 3rd parties were creating their own Myth maps. While we were waiting we occupied ourselves by creating Light vs. Dark games by exploiting a bug in the net map setup dialog. Bungie was faster on the uptake and released their editing tools with Myth II.

Neglected Oni went through a hack and explore phase that continues with some die-hard fans to this day.

And now, today, people have found a way to hack Halo.

I don't see this causing the downfall of Bungie civilization as we know it. In fact, I welcome it. There are many questions about the inner workings of Halo that will now have additional information to ponder. There are screenshots galore that will be viewed that otherwise would have never seen the light of day. There are even new tricks to be documented that will require a hacked setup to achieve. None of this in any way diminished the tireless efforts of previous explorers and tricksters.

Hacks are tools which allow players to do all sorts of things. But we, intelligent Bungie fans, know the difference between a true trick and a hack just like we are intimately aware of the difference between Easy and Legendary. You see, when it comes down to it, it's really a question of style; style in ingenuity, style in performance, and style in delivery. Allow me to take a page from the Marathon Vidmaster's manual:

Only the best players become Vidmasters, but only the best Vidmasters do it with style.

Posted by poenadare at February 4, 2003 5:07 PM
Comments

This editorial is spot-on!

Posted by: Miguel on February 5, 2003 2:13 PM

Thanks poenadare. I was getting tired of reading ramblings, getting upset (myself) and then calming down and realizing in the large plan of life (and gaming) this is nothing but another turning of the page.

Posted by: CYBRFRK on February 5, 2003 2:41 PM

Thank you for putting this whole dealy into perspective. I myself thought that reactions on all sides were overblown. Ya gotta keep your cool, keep your head, and don't steam.

...I think.

Posted by: Red Loser on February 5, 2003 2:53 PM

I think that, if you paid for the game, and you paid for the system, and you arn't making free coppies for anyone, then you can do whatever you want with it. After all, once you pay for it it is yours, not Microsith's or Bungie's.

I"F"R

Posted by: Chrysophylax on February 5, 2003 3:46 PM

I can't help but wonder how many of the people getting upset about "hacking" the xbox were asking how to access the flamethrower in Halo a year ago....
Chill out.

Hell, if hackers want to really be useful, they'll find a way to run Halo 1 on xbox live...bungie and microsoft don't want to... the people whining about hacking would probably be o.k. with that.

Posted by: pyxl on February 5, 2003 3:57 PM

Personally, I always look forward to seeing what the fan community can do. I can only imagine what fan films will be like once people figure out the command to move the camera around.

Posted by: Evil Otto on February 5, 2003 4:02 PM

!!!

"...command to move the camera around"?

You *are* evil! :-)

Posted by: mnemesis on February 5, 2003 4:30 PM

I'm looking forward to the first fan hack movie that I can award a seal of approval.

Style is everything.

Posted by: Marty the Elder on February 5, 2003 5:46 PM

Well said.

So "well said," in fact, that I have absolutely nothing to add. ;)

Posted by: Frogblast on February 5, 2003 6:18 PM

... I thought hacking Halo was a bad thing. Now I'm not so sure, it even seems kinda good. If all the other games have been hacked I guess it was just a matter of time until Halo was.

Posted by: Lion on February 5, 2003 6:22 PM

This is an extremely good article... but wouldn't you agree that hacking Halo is taking away from the overall Halo experience? I mean, what ever happened to good old fashioned fun?

Posted by: Da_Chief on February 5, 2003 8:39 PM

...wouldn't you agree that hacking Halo is taking away from the overall Halo experience? I mean, what ever happened to good old fashioned fun?

No, I just can't agree that it has in any way debased the Halo experience, unless one is talking about the mind numbing agony experienced by players who are drowning in jealousy because they can't mod their Xbox. (e.g. me.)

As far as 'good old fashioned fun' is concerned... we are talking a Bungie games, correct? The last thing I want from that sick, perverted gaggle of father-rapers is something old fashioned.

Posted by: poena.dare #CP# on February 5, 2003 8:51 PM

How do I patche a ripped image of the Halo disk.

Posted by: Ty on February 5, 2003 8:59 PM

Sorry, not our department.

Posted by: poena.dare #CP# on February 5, 2003 9:02 PM

To the naysayers:

For some reason, folks think 'hack' means something malicious. By my way of thinking, it is value-neutral. You can hack for good or bad.

The folks that aren't bothered about Halo being modded would never do anything bad with it. As we've gone over before, we're seeing new opportunities here to take a year old game and revitalize it: new gametypes, new exploration, new films. Does that mean the original Halo sucked or was lacking? You've gotta be kidding.

The folks that are angered about Halo being modded expect folks to cheat in online games (XBC, Aquaduct, Gamespy, etc. which, irony of ironies, is also considered a hack, right?), screw up their chances to legitimately play on Xbox Live, or 'cheat trying to reach the bottom of T&R'. That last one is a fear that is self-fulfilling if we let it. I don't think it's going to take much to discern someone that painstakingly reaches some part of Halo without the mod than someone that just mega-jumps or falls incredibly far to reach the same point. So applaud the person that makes it there the hard way and ignore the person that uses a modded Halo to claim any sort of 'victory' in these challenges. Seems pretty simple to me.

As for cheating in online games, that does bother me and I in no way condone such stupidity. Back in the days of Myth, it was every honest player's nightmare to join up in a game against some idiot that would approach your army with one warrior, swing his blade, magically kill all your units, knock the game out-of-sync, and ruin your rank. I would hate it if folks did the same in Halo.

In the end, no one is coming to your home and modding your Xbox without you knowing it, and you can certainly turn your eyes when someone shows you some neat modded Halo gameplay. Personally, I think you're going to be missing out on some fun stuff.

Posted by: Miguel on February 5, 2003 10:38 PM

Maybe it's because I'm directly involved via statements I've made, but I chafe at the characterization of Bungie "toeing the Microsoft line" or expressing some sort of disapproval of fans who think hacking is cool. Speaking as a guy who just recently helped out a Pathways hacker with some much-needed info, I don't think that's an accurate portrayal of our attitudes on the subject, either in general or in this specific instance.

When the news about modded Xboxes and Halo hit the net, everyone turned to face Bungie and said "Well?" Everyone seemed to think we would have some sort of dire reaction. When the questions are framed that way ("Does Bungie know about this? Have they issued an official statement?") it's hard to respond without appearing to play into that.

Honestly, this did not make big waves here at the office because nothing in those videos was new to us. We thought it was interesting that people had finally figured out how to do it, but it didn't strike us as a towering or wholly unexpected achievement. The "laughing with delight" phase comes when people take the limited tools available to them and come up with something totally unexpected, like the Warthog Jump video. That sucker pretty much destroyed an entire morning of work for us. Walking around in the Grunt model doesn't compare. :-) Like Dave and Marty said, the interesting fruits of this new development haven't been plucked off the tree yet.

My only real concern, and I admit I have not been completely clear on this in what I've posted thus far (and for all I know I might not be clear right now), is the potential for misunderstanding between the hackers and the hack-nots. One of the catch-phrases in current Bungie parlance uses a bank metaphor: "We've got to make sure the engine can cash the checks the environment artists are writing." Bluntly, I'm not sure a hacked Xbox can cash the checks the more exuberant hacked-box users are writing. I mean, yeah, you can walk around using a Grunt model, but you can't really "play as a Grunt" - not in the way WE would mean if WE ever made that sort of claim. You can do a lot of stuff with a hacked Xbox, but you are not having the carefully-crafted experience Bungie spent long hours putting together. It's the difference between watching a brilliant Jimi Hendrix concert and sneaking backstage after the show is over to bash out a quick chorus of "Louie Louie" on Jimi's rig while he is off shagging some groupie.

Now before anyone decides I have disappeared entirely up my own ass and am too pompous for anyone's good, please allow me to explain myself. I'm not holding Halo up as some inviolate work of art, never to be tampered with. I totally understand that poking around the guts of the game is interesting, especially to those who've been doing it with nothing more than an Xbox controller for more than a year. I'm not trying to denigrate that kind of activity. All I'm saying is that reading some of the stuff on the net in the last few days - the hyperbolic "New Multiplayer Game Types! Play As Any Character! Do Anything! Go Anywhere!" stuff - the average person could be forgiven for

A. thinking there were whole new depths of gameplay OF THE USUAL BUNGIE STANDARD to be explored; and
B. feeling disappointed when he/she discovered that wasn't really the case.

There are a lot of really smart and generally with-it people who post at the HBO forum, but there are a bunch of lurkers too and not all of them are on the same page. When I see a post that says "HAY HOW DU U HAKC YR XBOX? WERE DU U BY A MOD CHIP FRUM?" I worry that I'm going to hear from that guy (or his parents) in a couple weeks when his $200 Xbox is totally bollixed and he complains that we shouldn't force people to dick around with their hardware to "enable all the features." I think the intent of Evil Otto's post was the same: he posted what he did not out of a desire to piss on anyone's fire or advance the heartless Microsoft agenda but to clarify an important point for those who might have missed it in the adrenalin rush of "HALO CHEATS!!!!!!" When that guy wonders why he can't connect to Xbox Live anymore, everyone on the forum has the luxury of pointing fingers and having a laugh at the newbie's expense. We can't do that.

This is the same impulse that makes me jump up to shoot down release date rumors and the like. We do a little buzz-killing now to save a lot of grief later. It's not done in disrespect; far from it.

Bloody hell, I've gone on and on and on. I hope this explains things better.

-Matt

Posted by: Matt on February 5, 2003 10:42 PM

I am amazed that people are upset over Halo hacking! Where would Bungie be with out people hacking their games?

Posted by: Maestro on February 5, 2003 10:44 PM

I see some people talk about hacking Halo as ruining the game and the experience of it, that it detracts from the overall game. But look at it like this...If you feel that way about hacking, then don't do it. No one is forcing you to mod your Xbox. How does someone else messing with their Xbox ruin your experience of Halo? The people that mod have an interest in seeing/finding these things in the game so it doesn't ruin Halo for them. It refreshes it and lets them see it in a new light.

If you don't like the hacking, then don't do it. I know its not quite as simple as that, but other than XBC and the few people that try to pass off modded tricks as unmodded, it shouldn't have that much of an impact on your life.

Posted by: Silencer on February 5, 2003 11:16 PM

Matt, thanks for your contribution to this thread. I don't think PD's characterization of your buzzkill posts re: hacking was any sort of slam, just a summary of basically everything you yourself have explained in long form: you're the official developer, ergo you have real 'big picture' concerns that we, the fans, don't always take into account.

If anything, PD's editorial and my particular stance have nothing to do with you/Bungie's public statements. We're merely speaking to the other fans that don't get why we think this is good or 'fun' news. The fact that PD mentions how hacking is old hat in the Bungie universe is just more proof of how you guys 'get it.'

I also don't think Evil Otto's post was indicative of Bungie being on the defensive, just informative. That whole thread went to shit anyway, turning into another Pallor/some-guy flamefest.

But getting back to your main point: I understand your concerns. I'll try to get into the habit of posting disclaimers when I jump into discussions of hacking Halo. If we drill it into their heads, hopefully it'll stick.

Posted by: Miguel on February 6, 2003 2:20 AM

I think this might bring a new dimension in making movies for Halo. I've always wanted to control the camera, make flybys etc. And.. if you don't want to mod your xbox and "hack" halo, you don't have to. This is nothing new.. all games usually have these kinds of "cheats" already in the game from the development-stage. Halo doesn't have a console you can mess with.

Posted by: RazorCow on February 6, 2003 6:42 AM

Matt, David, Marty, and other interested parties:

Thank you very much for you intelligent comments. Matt has made some points that I feel I should respond to.

When describing Bungie's reaction to the hacking mini-drama I tried to choose my words very carefully. It has been my direct experience that, for the most part, Bungie personnel have taken valuable time out of their busy schedules to help fans extend, mangle, and mutilate Bungie games. On the other hand, Bungie's parent company, Microsoft, has shown overt hostility to mod chip manufacturers and distributors. The most notable example was Microsoft causing mod chip reseller Lik Sang to back away from the product.

Now, I am not privy to the exact relationship between Microsoft and Bungie. According to the acquisition arrangement Bungie may well have the right to walk naked through Microsoft's offices and paint their ball green if they so desire. On the other hand, all Bungie employees may be Bill Gates' personal pool boys. I don't know what the answer is but when I wrote the above article I assumed it was somewhere in the middle.

So when Matt pointed out on HBO "The best thing for the game is for people to play it and have fun, and it's entirely possible to do that without modding your Xbox. The game itself shipped more or less as we wished it to ship," I jumped to the conclusion that the statement was the result of Microsoft overthink... mainly because in previous years Matt's response would have been something much more, er, acerbic, say we say?

David's response was right on the money and totally factual. I did not mean to indicate that it was anything less. Losing lifetime privileges on Xbox Live is the risk you run when you mod your Xbox. I honestly believe that everyone who wants to know about modding should know this as well.

Matt, I have never, ever, found you to be pompous and self-serving. I myself have published six Macintosh and two PC software titles in my life and I definitely agree with the Early Buzz Kill method. I wish I had the same liberty to do so back then. Yes, I don't want angry parents calling Bungie over fried Xboxen.

To all: thank you again for your considered opinions (except Ty, who is clueless). I tried my best to engage in some balanced reporting here. Your responses were helpful and illuminating.

Posted by: poena.dare #CP# on February 6, 2003 10:00 AM

I agree that hacking Can be (and I emphasize CAN) malicious but most people dont use the hack for anyone but themselves. Some hacks have caused me to re-evaluate halo on my scale of fun. I am in favor of allowing people to hack their own games so long as they dont play online throught Gspy tunnel Or such. Happy Haxxing

Posted by: Haywood Jablome on February 6, 2003 4:19 PM

i myself dont think i will mod my xbox, but i think it could be good in a way. whats down off that first cliff on the Halo level? or outside the PoA? nothing special like easter eggs or anything, but it might be nice to see some pics of totally undocumented areas. of course, there is the issue of people trying to pass these of as legit, but the community should be able to tell what's legit and whats not, esp. since so much has already been seen through legit methods. however the most interesting thing would be being able to move the camera. the original pics of mc in action where from something similar to a moded xbox. and of course these would be easy (duh) to tell apart from unmoded. could get some very nice user pics with that, and if i do decide to mod my xbox, it would most likely be for this reason. i have no reason not too, since even though i do enjoy online gaming, i'm probably not going to get broadband internet anytime soon. as for the "ethical" issues, i would recommend that everyone plays through the game legit first, on each difficulty setting, in co-op and single player, so that you understand the game, the experience, the fun that is halo. then you can start looking into hacking, and exploring things you never knew could be done. i wonder if you CAN fly a banshee in the Halo level? :)

Posted by: Owm88 on February 6, 2003 5:56 PM

the ultimate good in keeping modded xboxen away from xbl, and i doubt that anyone will disagree, is that it keeps the cheaters out. people who would try to use these exploits to fuck you over the internet. one could argue that this is just possible because bungie thought it would be enough to remove the interface for the cheats. it is, however, only natural to assume that hackers won't stop at re-activating hidden bungie code.

if i ever get to buy an xbox, i want to be completely sure that my competitor uses the same means as i.

Posted by: Uriel on February 6, 2003 6:02 PM

Well, I don't mind them hacking it..i'm not letting anyone near my box though to screw it up..I've put too much cash in and towards it. But, I HOPE with bungies history of ppl hacking their games they can protect HALO 2 from being the next counter-strike, imagine that you play Halo 2 live for about 6 months until someone figures out how to hack it and then it goes to shit. Peace

Posted by: IndyJonez on February 6, 2003 7:13 PM

Y'know, I would pay good money for a Halo movie studio. Cripes, give me any decent "movie studio" app based on a given game engine, and I'd probably buy it. I just want something that is much quicker than Max, and has a wide variety of animations and on-the-fly physics.

One can wish, I suppose...

-FC

Posted by: Flawless Cowboy on February 7, 2003 10:10 PM

And I would gladly give Jamie's, er, Pallor's left testicle to convert the maps I've built in Pfhorte, Forge, Loathing, and WorldCraft to 3DSMax format...

Posted by: poena.dare #CP# on February 7, 2003 10:22 PM

In my opinion, Halo Hacking is not bad unless he/she is doing so during Live/Multiplayer session without the other people(s) knowing. During singleplayer is a completely different (and fun) story.

Posted by: XDaNoObX on February 19, 2003 10:48 PM

i know you have to get a chip and install and i just ordered it but after i install what do i do or where do i get the patch to hack halo

Posted by: XFrenZeRX on April 29, 2003 1:45 AM

I've heard all that stuff about mod-chips for Xbox and hacking of Halo and all... The fact of the matter is, if u can find ways of hacking into it without modding or cheating, like I have, then you really have nothing to worry about. All I had to do was get skilled with a ghost and in no time, i was out of the level in Blood Gulch. I find that once you get a hang for all the engines in halo, and find a way to get around them, then its not really hacking.. it's using the imperfections to your advantage ^_^. and to me, thats not cheating...

Posted by: Zach on May 17, 2003 6:29 PM

how do u get the mod chip

Posted by: bobbie on July 5, 2003 5:45 PM

I think the hacking is bulls***. It makes the game no fun. You fire a rocket and shoot the guy 5 times with the shotgun in the head and he dosent die. Then the people got the balls to say you suck or they dont hack. I wish there XBOX's will just blow up. I really do hope that bungie or microsoft does something because hacking makes the game no fun.

Posted by: Chris on July 17, 2003 11:24 PM

I watched a video on taking control of the marines and enemies in Halo. I thought it was pretty cool so I searched the web to find out how to do it. After a while I discovered that after you install a MOD chip you need to save the entire Halo game to your Hard Drive(and possiblly upgrade your HD so you can save games to it). You can then somehow manipulate the saved game to enable cheats. There were not many details on what else you can do, but the website said you could blow up Pelicans, jump really high, and fall very long distances without killing yourself. I am now wondering if anybody could post a guide on how to enable the cheats after the game is saved on to the HD, or tell me on which website I can find a guide on how to do it.

Posted by: Plasmasnake on July 20, 2003 8:05 PM

P.S. I also think that hacking Halo is fine(and fun)only after you have played the game through and enjoyed everything it has to offer. This actually helps make hacking the game more fun because you already know what you can't do. So when you start hacking you can break all the rules and have fun doing what you can't do without hacking Halo.(Does anybody have that guide on how to input the hacking codes into Halo).

Posted by: Plasmasnake on July 22, 2003 2:11 PM

yea... I totally agree. i myself have beaten halo and still think its fun unhacked...but but a hacked halo will allow me to break the rules and just have fun...spend my time exploring and trying out new things... and by the way... if i could get a copy of the guide too i would greatly appreciate it ... thanks...and then some

Posted by: jakeoth on July 26, 2003 4:24 PM

i totally agree also but there has to be a way to get some cool cheats i seem to never find any good ones because i had just seen your movie on kazaa by the way i bought it for $22 and i did tryed it i did not understand how you did it till i found this site also i tryed to do it when i did not understand and failed thank you josh

Posted by: Josh on August 6, 2003 4:40 PM

I think you're right on, man. Hacking Halo is just going to prolong the replay value of the game, and make it more fun and interesting at the same time.

Posted by: p33v3s on August 10, 2003 10:24 AM

yep... i bought an apple mini-x modchip for my x-box so i could hack halo... and have no clue what to do... can someone help me... did i get the right chip?... thanks.... jakeoth@aol.com

Posted by: jakeoth on August 12, 2003 8:52 PM

no you must get the mod chip for the x box but keep in mind that you cannot play on x box live
Write Back....

Posted by: Josh on August 23, 2003 10:24 PM

i also agree p33v3s but you cannot play on x box live
Write Back....

Posted by: Josh on August 23, 2003 10:27 PM

oh sorry you did get a mod chip sorry then i dont know

Posted by: Josh on August 23, 2003 10:30 PM

Yes I have a modded xbox, and yes I have "hacked halo". I have a few corrections to make.

#1 You cannot play online or system link when cheating, unless the other player(s) have the same trainer/map (cache) edit.

#2 I do not reccomend you hack halo until you have beaten it.

#3 Generally, except for the basic stuff in most hacking fun movies, you must edit a 40+ MB hex file. Its not that difficult, just imposing to most newbies. For example to make shotgun launch grenades, add the flamethrower, or add the Gravity rifle.

#4 You learn itresting things, how most of the flamethrower was finished, there are some banshee files in blood gultch (only a few images), and a gravity rifle began to be implemented.

#5 With new modchips, there is a switch to disable them, and it will work like you never installed the chip.

#6 Ability to back up halo (and any game or DVD to Hard drive. This lowers load times, and does not require a disk. This means it wont get scratched up, and if you go to a friends house/LAN party, you dont have to worry about losing/damaging disks.

Overall, there are no *evil* ways to hack online, for you can't play with different map versions (map hacked (ie assault rifle shoots out 50 tank shells per shot)) or activate the trainer when playing against a person who does not hav ethe same abilities.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Posted by: Legolas on September 18, 2003 5:49 PM

I saw a video on a website that showed somebody flying a Pelican on the SC. It flew just like all the other pelicans, except MC and the marines were all floating inside the pelican as if they were in a warthog. The pelican also still had the warthog's machine gun that fired. I was wondering if the same thing could be done to replace the warthog with the Cove dropship? I only have the Halo cheat app installed so far.

Posted by: Plasmasnake on October 28, 2003 9:08 AM

o yea 1 word if you do have a mod chip you still play xbox live with a chip, all you need 2 do is put a switch in to turn the chip off and then put your game in as normal, no banning or nothing

Posted by: Kyesarri on December 2, 2003 9:03 PM

i have a box with a chip and a switch and im hacking halo at the moment and all i need to do to play xbox live is turn the chip off, i will post some pics on a site when my mod is done and people can make thier decisions from there

Posted by: KyesaRRi on December 2, 2003 9:09 PM

here is a site with some hacked halo movies and programs to hack halo on both xbox and pc
www.halomods.com

Posted by: KyesaRRi on December 2, 2003 9:12 PM

HOW DO I HACK HALO?

Posted by: POLO on March 13, 2004 5:24 PM

i shot a guy ten times and hit him with a grenade, and he didn't die. he shot me once and i died. noob. stuff like that can't happen, unless u suck. if i'm hacked and try to play on xbc it will not work, unless the other person loads up the same hack.
well... almost not work. u could change textures, thus making walls invisible, zoom in 20x etc. but not stuff like weapon damage or invinceable. turn off chip and play on live. any other crap rumors i can debunk? xbox-scene rules and will answer questions u may have, or email me. peace

Posted by: sally on March 16, 2004 4:13 PM

if anyone out there knows how to setup a 200 kill game for halo on gamespy tunnel or xbox connect please email me how to do so, thank you ps. (i have played a 200 kill game on gamespy tunnel)

Posted by: ike on May 13, 2004 2:51 AM

Letís get something perfectly clear here. I have family that is in corporate law. In Microsoftís EULA and in Bungieís EULA (found in the PC version install of HALO) it states that modification and reproduction for gain are against copy right laws. Under the law we cannot in any way modify and redistribute ANY part of the code in the game and we cannot use any technology in the system for personal gain without Microsoftís AND Bungie's (in the case of halo both are required.) consent.
Ok that aside, for personal use, the End USER can modify the code of the game can recode the game can "hack" the game in any manner he/she sees fit. as long as said reproduced code/hardware are not redistributed in any manner (fee or free)

Examples:

a> I hack open my Xbox yank cables randomly and totally F*** up my box, thatís legal! If I call Microsoft and try to get them to fix it, they will, they'll charge me $200 to do so because I voided my warranty. and they will also laugh their butts off.

b> I crack open my Xbox and put in a MOD chip, thats leagle too! And I can call Microsoft and tell them I did it and they will not sue me! But again they will laugh their butts off.

c> If I copy my personally purchased copy of halo to my modded Xbox hard drive and play it from there, thatís legal. I can call bungie and tell them I did it and include screen shots and even tell them where I live and they will not sue me. They will in fact probably laugh their butts off.

D> I can hack into the code of the HALO game I copied to the hard drive on my Modded Xbox and connected to My PC that has a (legitimate) copy of windows XP and make the game do "funny things" thatís legal! I can call both Microsoft and bungie and tell them the intimate details of my endeavors and they will not sue me! They will however laugh their butts off.

E> If I pull the cache files from the legitimately purchased HALO game from my legitimately modded XBOX to my ligemate PC and POST THEM on my literately owned web site through my legitimate web access. That would be ILLEAGLE! I could tell a bungie rep and they would probably laugh as they sue my butt off!

So we learn that I can do what ever I want as long as I own a full legitimate copy of the product I am screwing with. So in that case all you whiners out there unless you can prove it is an illegal copy of the game or a stolen XBOX or you can get one us to send you a cache file. SHUT THE F*** UP!!! And join the fun. Itís like legalized weed only legal! And less dangerous. And less addictive... well no itís as addicting as hell.

Posted by: Nic on June 11, 2004 4:04 PM

i hack halo, its soo fun, and people even make new maps, it adds to the overall fun, espesially seeing it possible to have flying warthogs and working plasma swords(ive seen, and used them)

Posted by: bob on July 22, 2004 11:17 PM

i am aditya i wan toknow abt the hacking

Posted by: aditya on October 21, 2004 1:05 AM

Gracis

Posted by: And on November 5, 2004 8:52 AM

hey, this is my philosophy if i buy it ill do what ever the hell i want to it!!!!! lol

Posted by: chuless on December 7, 2004 10:18 AM

you all need to get a life and stope complaning about every thing that is out there so that is what you need wast your time on

Posted by: raven on January 11, 2005 3:45 PM

i think ethical hacking can be to considered to ethical. what do you think..?

Posted by: siti nurshafira on February 27, 2005 3:19 AM

i think that their is no point of trying to get them to stop this i say the more u try to stop them the more they try to break that. i say fuck them fuck them all let them have their fucking little gay ass stupid (giltch) in all reality it is time for bungie to start to makeing a change. they did do a good job on halo2-1.1 but still did not fixed it all the way,

so my point i guess is a "glitch" is just a bug that needs to get stomp and killed.

Posted by: steveo just blaze on May 29, 2005 10:59 AM

I agree with many that hacking in Halo is not wrong, but right, because sometimes the game can get a little bit boring, so I guess people that hack Halo are bored of the same old assault rifle being so innacurate in shots, etc. Maybe some people want to spice things up with maybe extremely fast running and things, but that's just my opinion. :-)

Posted by: Lord Hood on June 5, 2005 12:36 PM

Why is everyone getting pissed off about this stuff? Keep your opinions to yourself. No one gives a shit. >:-)

Posted by: Lord Hood on June 5, 2005 12:39 PM

Hey bob e-mail me at dracgo666@yahoo.com I want to learn how to hack Halo. It's so friggin boring because I've beat it on legendary, boring boring boring. Well e-mail me I want a flying hog. :-)

Posted by: Lord Hood on June 5, 2005 12:41 PM

A little late to this forum and subject, I suck at Halo 2. I have terrible motor skills . and little cooridnation. or patients. I believe hacking online is cowardly, it is equivaliant to steroid users in the olympics. cheating is cheating. You are in no way better at Halo 2 if you get 20 + kills with a mod. So , you are in fact really quite lame and are indeed ruining it for the rest. who seek good honest compatition.

Sorry about the spelling

Posted by: E on July 8, 2005 4:37 AM

dude bob like hook me up with how u do all the hacking stuff i am bored of the original stuff. i want a scarab gun in multi...thanks man

Posted by: harold on July 9, 2005 5:25 PM

I agree that it is cool to hack files (I have never done it on Halo or games, but for software) but on Halo 2 it's slightly different with Live. I don't care if Hackers do it off line, but when they bring it online and use it to boost their stats that is wrong. Do it in Campaign, System Link, or Split Screen, that way if someone doesn't like you hacking they can simply punch you.

Posted by: Punkster on July 11, 2005 7:15 PM

please tell me how 2 hack so i can get duel scarab guns and drive scarab and pelican and phantom email me at mraaronyuppy@hotmail.co.uk

Posted by: aaron on July 21, 2005 4:59 PM