October 23, 2002

Fiddlin' Around

Bungie Sightings

I've been messin' around with the style sheet. Whaddya think? (We could make it a black page, and piss off Claude... ;-) j/k)

Posted by mnemesis at October 23, 2002 3:01 PM
Comments

What happened? I had modded the styles-site.css file a bunch, checking it all the time, and when I posted this entry, it changed back!

Posted by: mnemesis on October 24, 2002 6:02 PM

Weird. The Bungie Sightings link in the middle of my entry appeared by itself.

Ahhhh! It's HAUNTED!

Posted by: mnemesis on October 24, 2002 6:04 PM

Crap. I can't even tell if the .css file is the one I changed, because I just overwrote it with the original one. ::smacks self repeatedly::

ANYWAY, I guess I'll dink around with it and try again later.

How much is this current design like what you want the final to be, e.g. fonts, sizes, colors, etc.? Personally, I like sans-serif fonts better than serif ones, but that's just a personal preference.

Tell you what, I'll leave that -orig.css file in there, in case you aren't too fond of the styles I come up with (I'm really not that invested in CHANGING what's here now, it's just that I like to screw around with stuff like this :-D).

So, tell me about Xbox Live. Is it cool so far? (I'm wondering if I should get it asap, just so I can reserve my name...)

Posted by: mnemesis on October 24, 2002 7:27 PM

A-HAH! I figured out why that "Bungie Sightings" link is in the Fiddlin' Around post. I had set up a bookmarklet. I'm not sure if you know, but a bookmarklet lets you have a bookmark which opens up a javascript "Post To MT Blog" window, with whatever page you're on automagically linked in the blog entry. If it doesn't make sense, go to the bs.bungie.org/mt/mt.cgi window and click on "Set Up Bookmarklets" link. It should be pretty self-explanatory.

Posted by: mnemesis on October 24, 2002 10:28 PM

Hehe, I see you've been busy. :)

First off, the default styles are available here:

I like these two that can be found on that page:

Georgia Blue
Plain Jane

GBlue I like the most... sparse yet classy, IMO.

I followed the instructions and c/p the css into the style template, but with no blog entries, it looked all weird, so I reverted back to the default and left it at that.

It'd be interesting to now try adding the style back in with some entries in place and see if it all wraps correctly.

If I get a chance in the next few hours I'll do that. The important thing, for both of us, is to save copies of the existing CSS on our own machines in case we screw up.

I saw the bookmarklet thingie before, and because I wasn't sure how helpful it would be, I ignored it. Maybe I'll try it later. Can I 'erase' the bookmarklet if I don't want to use it?

What I'm thinking of doing is making the bs page my homepage, so I see it every time I launch my browser. That should help force me to add things.

Posted by: Miguel on October 25, 2002 6:22 PM

Oh yeah, I don't have XBL yet. :( Soon though.

Posted by: Miguel on October 25, 2002 6:23 PM

Yeah, I've got a copy here of the original, but it doesn't seem to matter, since it reverts somehow everytime someone posts or comments.

I'll check out the ones you mentioned.

Any ideas about the b.net articles page? Can we make another blog (that looks similar or exactly like this one) that just holds the b.net article entries? That way people can comment on the articles (as can we) and it can be linked to from this front page.

Oh, and yes, you can delete the pre-linked stuff when you use the bookmarklet. It's just an href tag that's pre-loaded into the 'entry' field.

Posted by: mnemesis on October 25, 2002 7:27 PM

Bleah. I'm too tired to keep messing with it. I like it, though! :-)

Posted by: mnemesis on October 25, 2002 9:54 PM

A-HAH, again! I can keep messing with the .css file, but the default will be reloaded every time someone posts or comments. In order to make a permanent change, the change has to be made from the 'manage templates' page, which I can't see (but you should be able to). I like the Georgia Blue style, with a couple of minor modifications (not that it's too big a deal). Mostly, I am liking how this is set up. You're right, it's all tied up with a nice bow. :-)

Posted by: mnemesis on October 25, 2002 10:43 PM

This is a test to see if I fixed my mailto link and it remembers it.

Posted by: mnemesis on October 30, 2002 4:17 PM

Well, it pre-loaded the correct mailto tag, but it didn't set the previous one correctly. Hmm. One more try.

Posted by: mnemesis on October 30, 2002 4:23 PM